Lacloche Freres Art Deco Diamond and Platinum Bracelet, Circa 1930
Lacloche Frères started as a Spanish jewellery house. It became known for some of the finest and most creative Art Deco jewellery and Objets d’Art. Four brothers, Fernand, Jacques, Jules and Leopold Lacloche founded the firm, in Madrid, with origins dating back to 1875. They were not born into the jewellery trade, their father was in the textiles business. The brothers had various companies and shops both in Spain and France, opening their first French establishment in Paris, in 1892, in the rue de Châteaudun. After the death of Jacques, in a train crash, in 1900, the remaining three brothers amalgamated their separate business interests to form Lacloche Frères, at 15, Rue de la Paix, Paris, in 1901. When the London jeweller, Edwin Streeter, retired in 1904, they acquired his stock, which included the historic, rose pink, Agra diamond, although they didn’t keep it for long, auctioning it at Christies the following year. By 1908 there was a total of seven European store locations, in Madrid and London as well as branches in Nice, Biarritz, San Sebastián, Cannes and Deauville. They had gained a reputation for beautiful jewellery and timepieces. A collaboration between several exceptional craftsmen - Lalique, Verger, Vacheron Constantin and the enameller Paillet produced a fine pendant watch. They didn't tend to adopt the Art Nouveau style, instead favouring the more commercial diamond and gem set designs of the day. In 1912 Fabergé’s London store was closed, when the Russian government repatriated Fabergé’s personnel and assets. Lacloche bought the remaining stock and set up shop in its place, in 1917. Three years later the son of the deceased Jacques, also called Jacques, was entrusted to run the business in London having been trained by his uncles, in particular Fernand.
During the 1920s and 1930s the company gained its reputation for refined craftsmanship and elegance of design, particularly in the Art Deco style. They exhibited at the 1925 Paris Exposition des Art Décoratifs, that was held in Paris, over a six-month period, winning a Grand Prix for their display of fabulous jewels including a range of pendants and bracelets inspired by the classic La Fontaine’s fables.
Lacloche Frères were inspired by different genres including the East and a variety of motifs from Chinese and Japanese art and culture. Their brightly coloured, jewelled, geometric cigarette cases and necessaires also known as vanity cases, made in a wide variety of shapes and designs, utilising decorative materials, including lacquer and enamel, with diamond and precious stone motifs are among some of the best of the period. They were also known for their mother-of-pearl inlaid clocks and their ladies accessories, such as tiaras, diamond bracelets and colourful, gem set, jabot pins. They worked with some of the best designers, workshops and suppliers in Paris, such as Strauss Allard Meyer, Verger, Helluin-Mattlinger, Langlois and Rubel.
The economic crash of 1929 had a catastrophic effect on the firm, they filed for bankruptcy in 1931, retaining only a showroom in Paris, which was closed in 1935. Jacques Lacloche opened a small concession in the Carlton Hotel in Cannes in 1936 and in 1938, he used the name SARL Jacques Lacloche and opened in Paris, at 8, Place Vendome, buying from Georges Verger. The company closed in 1960.
Among Lacloche Frères, and later Jacques Lacloche's famous clientele were Queen Victoria of Spain, Edward VII of England, the kings of Greece and Siam, as well as members of the aristocracy, such as the Duchess of Westminster and Prince Rainier, for whom Jacques created a wonderful sapphire and diamond brooch as a wedding gift for Grace Kelly. After World War Two Jacques created bold, brilliant designs for Hollywood stars, other notable Americans and a discerning clientele.
Sources: Hancocks, Bennett, David & Daniela Mascetti. Understanding Jewelry. Suffolk, England: Antique Collectors’ Club, 1989. Raulet, Sylvie, Jewelry of the 1940’s & 1950’s. New York: Rizzoli, 1988. Lang Antique Jewelry University, L’ÉCOLE, School of Jewelry Arts.
- Circa 1930
- Art Deco
- Length approximately 184mm, width 12mm
Length approximately 184mm, width 12mm
- Design House
- Lacloche Frères
- Country of origin
- Good - Wear consistent with age and use
Here you can add custom original content(text, images, videos and more) for each product page.
Pay by Visa, Mastercard and Amex via Worldpay.
Proud Members of The Association of Art & Antiques Dealers